The Pros And Cons Of Affiliate Marketing
With any business there are pros and cons but don’t let that stop you from taking the leap!
As the digital age has evolved, online affiliate marketing has become a more utilised strategy in day to day marketing.
Affiliate Marketing is a billion-dollar industry. The industry is worth an estimated $12 billion right now and is set to grow by at least a further 10% over the next few years.
Affiliate Marketing is the process by which you earn a commission for promoting or marketing another person’s products or services.
As an affiliate you have the opportunity to leverage a widely used digital business model to grow your own online business.
Here are some of the positives about Affiliate Marketing:
- Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest online business model to start earning passive income online.
- There are real opportunities to drive sales and earn commission payments even when you are not working.
- The opportunity to make a passive income means to earn money while you sleep.
- Wouldn’t it be great to wake up in the morning, open your laptop and just discover additional revenue in your account? The fruits of your hard work.
- It is accessible for you to wake up in the morning like this once you get a deeper understanding of what affiliate marketing is all about.
- The affiliate learns how to get the products and services in front of the right people and earns a commission from the sale they make.
- It depends on how determined you are to make it succeed and the affiliate strategy you choose to follow.
- The best part of Affiliate Marketing is you don’t have to invest the time and effort to create your own product because someone else has already done the hard work.
- Because you are only acting as a referrer to other businesses, introducing your audience and encouraging a sale, you won’t have to handle customer service.
- Being an affiliate publisher means having absolute freedom to build your online presence.
- Affiliate marketing is in fact a pretty easy industry to join as there are no barriers to entry.
- It is just the matter of your decision. All you have to do is to create an affiliate marketing website (but you can also become an affiliate marketer without a website).
- You can earn money with affiliate marketing from anywhere, even while you are on vacation as long as you have a computer and an internet connection to run your business.
- You can choose to work at any time of the day that suits as there is no commute to work
- You do not need to be a marketing expert right away to become an affiliate.The great thing about affiliate marketing is that you can learn along the way, testing various organic or paid campaigns.
- There are many ways to run and manage affiliate marketing programs. Leverage any your marketing experience gained before and try to identify what performs best and brings the most profits. Then repeat the patterns for results.
- Low Investment Costs comparing to other industries.
- You work online so that you can do it from your home and you only have electricity and ISP subscription costs to cover.
- In the initial stage, there are additional expenses related to setting up a domain, web hosting operator and also some minor costs about designing layout.
- You are a freelancer, so there are no costs for hiring staff, customer service or inventory costs involved.
- Starting up as an affiliate marketer does not require you to leave your current job as it can be a secondary income.
- The convenience and flexibility it provides you in making your working environment on your own and according to your will, is also a strong incentive.
- You can create multiple campaigns on different affiliate websites and landing pages to market your affiliate links.
- You can have multiple affiliate marketing programs from a chosen niche or various niches to promote and test.
- As an affiliate, you don’t need to handle customer service related issues.
- As a freelancer, you don’t need to follow any company regulations according to monthly or weekly reports or manage other people
- You do not have to worry about company relations because it is only you and yourself who sets all the rules, decides about proper dress code (you can even be in your pyjamas)
- All marketing materials are provided by vendors, so you do not need to produce any banners or any promotional materials.
- The sky is the limit as there are many ways to market your affiliate programs.
- You can set up an affiliate blog and post regularly about a given niche, come up with affiliate emails or create PPC campaigns.
- You can even use social media and platforms like Pinterest to market your affiliate products.
- Furthermore, you can combine all your organic and paid marketing activities into a cross-channel campaign if this suits you best.
- As an affiliate partner, you work as a freelancer and the best part of it are the costs, such as laptops and mobile phones, which can be claimed as tax write-offs.
- An at-home business means you are making your framework and daily working schedule.
- If anything unexpected comes up like a family errands you can always make time for it.
- You decide how many days and when you want to go on vacation
Affiliate Marketing is a performance based income and can be perceived as a benefit or a disadvantage.
The are some of the negatives about Affiliate Marketing
- You do not own affiliate marketing programs and as such you have no control on affiliate the marketing programs or commission but you just have to use existing ones.
- In this way, you are dependent on your merchant’s rules and respect their conditions.
- A program that may look appealing in the beginning but becomes less and less competitive and you won’t be able to adjust the terms yourself.
- You can only communicate the need for further adjustments and then wait for the merchant to implement changes.
- Competition varies depending on the industry.
- Highly talented affiliate marketers from the same niche make up a fierce competition, which is an obvious danger to your performance and a significant disadvantage.
- Remember that the obligatory factors of success are hard work and persistence so do not let this scare you.
- You are not able to establish your customer base once a referral is made, a repeating customer won’t ever purchase from you again if the referred customer is on a one time commission as he will do it directly with the vendor for repeated purchase.
- That’s the nature of affiliate business and you are committed to driving new leads again and again.
- Unless you engage into marketing affiliate programs that provide recurring commission and offer recurring licenses and because of this fixed recurring commission
- Working as an affiliate marketer is not easy as you do not earn an income right away.
- It is a challenge you have to face when you have put in so much effort into maximising the opportunity, but in the end it is difficult to predict how much money you will make on it in the end.
- Freelance jobs are not for everyone as some may feel uncomfortable with this working style. It can result in feeling lonely and blue.
- There are ways to minimise and overcome such a mental condition, don’t close yourself away from people you love. Find somewhere outside where you can go there every day to work.
- There are lots of coffee shops designed especially for remote work in your city, so just look around and discover one that suits you best.
- Affiliate marketing is sometimes be associated with spammy marketing campaigns for some short sighted affiliate marketers.
- Producing spammy and misleading content and expect quick and small wins. Your days will be numbered once you step into this kind of false affiliate marketing methods and you will eventually lose credibility and even worse you put your merchant’s reputation at risk.
- It is better focus on the long-term affiliate strategy and invest in quality instead of quantity, as this will bring you sustainable and recurring revenue.
These are some of the pros and cons of Affiliate Marketing. I hope you now have a better understanding of what the advantages and disadvantages are with Affiliate Marketing.
On returning home from my overseas assignments and before I started my journey to becoming an online digital marketer, I did some deep soul searching on what really matter most to me and where my next path would take me.
I knew the digital economy is the new way to earn an income while working from home. I realised that we are now living in the digital economy, so I decided to invest in myself by learning a new skill.
Learning a new skill requires determination and commitment and I can tell you now that is the best investment I have made.
As there are thousands of Affiliate Marketing programs out there on the internet, you need to do your research to see which path you want to follow.
I chose the Six Figures Mentors (SFM) because they are a digital education company who have been teaching people how to start their own online business from scratch and they have been doing this for over a decade.
They are focused and dedicated to help you on your journey but the success of your business does depend on you, your mindset and dedication.
Now I can work in the comfort of my own home and I do not have to wake up to an alarm clock, get dressed and commute through the horrendous traffic to and from work. It is so flexible on my time!
I need to tell you that I did face challenges while learning a new skill. I questioned myself if I could do this, but with determination, I soldiered on and quashed my doubts on starting my own online business.
What I found that was where the biggest growth happens. This brings me to you…… I found a free video workshop series of shared ideas on how to break this cycle of just working and start living.
What I uncovered is a whole new life, right in front of us, we could not see it.
I started an online business from scratch with no experience, scary…YES – rewarding (worth it)..100%.
And now that is my hope for you, even if you watch the video series and if you are happy with where you are, amazing… you confirm that feeling, or you might uncover a passion to start a franchise or own a traditional biz, it really does not matter, as long as you are willing to do what most people are not.
I have included a form on the right hand sidebar so you can enter your name and email address, and I will send the same video series which got me started directly to your inbox or if you prefer to access the tutorials here
I have also included my personal email address here [email@example.com] and I want you to know that you can reach out to me with any questions you may have.
You need to figure out your why! and don’t let life pass you by. I look forward to talking to you soon.
Did you find the above article useful?
Don’t forget to save this pin to your Pinterest Board!